Dr. OXANA SHEVEL is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Tufts University and an Associate at the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies and the Ukrainian Research Institute at Harvard University. She is also a member of the EUDO Citizenship expert group as a country expert on Ukraine, and a member of the Program on New Approaches to Research and Security in Eurasia (PONARS Eurasia) scholarly network. Her research focuses on comparative politics of the post-Communist region, especially in issues of nation- and state-building, the politics of citizenship and migration, and the influence of international institutions on domestic politics.
Analysis and opinion:
- Al Jazeera, opinion: “Back from the Brink in Ukraine?” (1/29/14)
- European Union Democracy Observatory on Citizenship: Ukraine Country Report (9/2010)
- East European Politics and Societies: “Nationality in Ukraine. Some Rules of Engagement.” (Spring 2002)
- Analysis of Current Events: “Crimean Tatars in Ukraine: The Politics of Inclusion and Exclusion.” (Jan-Feb 2000).
- Kyiv Post, opinion: “Tatars strengthen the cause of Ukrainian statehood” (7/22/99)
- Kyiv Post: “Q&A: Anton Buteiko, Ukrainian ambassador to the United States ‘The strategic direction is the return to Europe” (3/25/99)
- Kyiv Post, opinion: “Russian-speaking Ukrainians aren’t the problem – they should be part of the solution” (2/4/99)